The time now is Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:46 pm | Log in to check your private messages
View unanswered posts  Ghost forum archive
World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum IndexWorld of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index
World of Ghosts Worldofghosts 24 hour chat room
                          Register


FAMAGUSTA-CYPRUS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » General chat
View previous topic | View next topic  
Author Message
Dark Knight 81



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Location: Gotham City

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: FAMAGUSTA-CYPRUS Reply with quote

You may or may not be aware that Turkey invaded Cyprus inthe summer of 1974. One of the major cities taken was the coastal city of Varosha in Famagusta. It was wired off by the Turks and noone has been allowed inside (except Turkish army and UN personnel) It's like a timeslip, there are 1974 cars still stood in showrooms, holidaymakers clothes still in hotels and peoples houses left exactly as they were in 1974. I visited this city in 2010 and managed to take some sneaky photos. Looking through them, i see how spooky the city is and i wonder how many ghosts still haunt this area. The invasion caused mass panic and i know people died here. Does anyone have stories or have been to Varosha?
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Back to top
thecactus



Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 3183
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: FAMAGUSTA-CYPRUS Reply with quote

Dark Knight 81 wrote:
The invasion caused mass panic and i know people died here.


People die everywhere; why would this incident make it more likely for there to be ghosts there?
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Back to top
Dark Knight 81



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Location: Gotham City

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: FAMAGUSTA-CYPRUS Reply with quote

thecactus wrote:
Dark Knight 81 wrote:
The invasion caused mass panic and i know people died here.


People die everywhere; why would this incident make it more likely for there to be ghosts there?


Due to the fact it was an invasion, people were leaving in mass panic, alot of emotion would have been present and i believe this would have imprinted onthe area. Most battle areas do have ghosts for example The Somme or Gettysberg.
Having served in both Iraq and Afghanistan i know exactly how much emotion there is in an area of conflict.
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Back to top
thecactus



Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 3183
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: FAMAGUSTA-CYPRUS Reply with quote

Dark Knight 81 wrote:
Due to the fact it was an invasion, people were leaving in mass panic, alot of emotion would have been present and i believe this would have imprinted onthe area. Most battle areas do have ghosts for example The Somme or Gettysberg.
Having served in both Iraq and Afghanistan i know exactly how much emotion there is in an area of conflict.


But there is usually a lot of emotion when anyone dies, under any circumstances, is there not?
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Back to top
Dark Knight 81



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Location: Gotham City

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but much more so in war when death is sometimes unexpected and more tragic than normal.
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Back to top
flossy
Moderator


Joined: 17 Oct 2006
Posts: 4905
Location: UK tyne/wear (geordie land)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emotions are hightened in circumstances such as war, so i get what you mean (i think cactus does too Wink )
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
D B Sweeney



Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 2842
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points raised by the Cactus - I agree with him 100%.

DB
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Back to top
thecactus



Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 3183
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Knight 81 wrote:
I agree, but much more so in war when death is sometimes unexpected and more tragic than normal.


But death is not unexpected during warfare Confused

flossy wrote:
emotions are hightened in circumstances such as war, so i get what you mean (i think cactus does too )


But I don't see how heightened emotions during an invasion, would make it more likely for the area to be haunted.

D B Sweeney wrote:
Good points raised by the Cactus - I agree with him 100%.

DB


Cheers Very Happy
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Back to top
Dark Knight 81



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Location: Gotham City

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death can be unexpected during warfare eg bomb going off, sniper shoots someone. The victim of both these events can be totally unaware of whats happened. As for heightened emotions, wouldn't the environment "soak up" the emotions leaving the area highly suceptable to " repeating event hauntings"?
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Back to top
D B Sweeney



Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 2842
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Knight 81 wrote:
As for heightened emotions, wouldn't the environment "soak up" the emotions leaving the area highly suceptable to " repeating event hauntings"?


Would you care to explain how this 'soaking up' process works and plays back DK?.

DB
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Back to top
Dark Knight 81



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Location: Gotham City

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D B Sweeney wrote:
Dark Knight 81 wrote:
As for heightened emotions, wouldn't the environment "soak up" the emotions leaving the area highly suceptable to " repeating event hauntings"?


Would you care to explain how this 'soaking up' process works and plays back DK?.

DB


I'm thinking more of the stone tape theory.
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Back to top
thecactus



Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 3183
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Knight 81 wrote:
I'm thinking more of the stone tape theory.


I believe in ghosts/spirits, but I don't believe in that.
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Back to top
Dark Knight 81



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Location: Gotham City

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only believe in it due to the stories i've heard.
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Back to top
Nosey Rose



Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Famagusta just after the war ended. It must have been 1975. We were visiting my Aunt and Uncle who had only recently returned to Kyriena after escaping leaving their home. My Parents and I had gone out for a holiday and were taken to see no mans land.

Your description in 2010 sounds very like what it was like in 1975. I am afraid I don't have any ghost stories. I am sure there are though.

Nosey Smile Rose
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
Dark Knight 81



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Location: Gotham City

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosey Rose wrote:
I went to Famagusta just after the war ended. It must have been 1975. We were visiting my Aunt and Uncle who had only recently returned to Kyriena after escaping leaving their home. My Parents and I had gone out for a holiday and were taken to see no mans land.

Your description in 2010 sounds very like what it was like in 1975. I am afraid I don't have any ghost stories. I am sure there are though.

Nosey Smile Rose


Apart from mass looting of peoples property and buildings falling down it looks very much the same (basically) as it did in 74. Such a tragedy.
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Back to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » General chat
Display posts from previous:   
 
 
All times are GMT
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum